In making Fried Rice, never ignore the use of meat stock… good meat stock makes a huge difference.
4 cups rice.
1 pack mixed seafood.( it consisted of Shrimps, Calamari, Fish flesh.
2 cups meat stock.
1- 2 teaspoon @matsecooksseasonings Fried rice spice.
1 teaspoon @matsecooksseasonings Everything Spice.
1 tablespoon garlic powder.
1 teaspoon white pepper.
1 teaspoon black pepper.
1 big yellow bell pepper.
1 big Green bell pepper.
1 big red bell pepper.
2 big carrots.
1 big onion.
Salt to taste.
3 cooking spoons vegetable oil.
I got my mixed seafood from The Fish Shop off Aminu Kano Crescent in Abuja.
It was a mix of Calamari, Fish meat and Shrimps. You can add octopus cutlets and other seafood if you wish.
1. Parboil rice and wash with cold water until the water is clear to remove starch, then drain properly in a sieve. Spread on a tray if you have time to dry the rice even more. I like well dried rice.
2. Season mixed seafood with black pepper and Everything Spice and some salt. Marinate for about an hour in the fridge.
3. Dice the peppers, onion and carrot to the size of your choice.
4. Pour rice back into a pot and add the meat stock, white pepper, fried rice spice, garlic powder, seasoning and some salt to taste. Cover with a lid and cook until it is done.
5. While the rice is cooking, in a frying pan, add the vegetable oil and fry the seafood for about 2 minutes…DON’T OVER COOK THEM PLEASE. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
6. In same frying pan, add a little vegetable oil. Pour all the diced vegetables and cook with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. Then remove from the gas top. We don’t want to over cook the vegetables.
7. Finally, pour the cooked vegetables and Seafood into the rice and blend in nicely. For large cooking, do the mixing in batches. Cook for a bit to blend together and turn off the heat.
NB: I used standard measurement cups and spoons. Please get yours from a supermarket.
PS: Fried Rice should not be sticky. Cover and cook with steam rather than too much stock or water.
Credits: MatseCooks and Nigerian food tv